Laser Hair Removal Overview
Article from RealSelf.com
Laser hair removal has come a long way since the first device received FDA clearance in the mid-90s. Older generation lasers were slow, painful, and worked only on people with dark hair and light skin.
Today, there are several laser hair removal devices specifically designed for skin tones and hair types. It usually takes a series of treatments for permanent hair removal, but options exist for almost everyone.
Types of laser hair removal
Always consult with your medical provider to find the best laser hair removal treatment for you. Here are several types of lasers and some details on each:
Firstlaser introduced for hair removal. Laserbeam is well absorbed by melanin pigment in hair, good for removing finer, lighter hair.
- Should be used for hair removal on patients with fair skin, as it may burn those with dark or tan skin.
- Slow repetition rate and relatively small spot size, which may mean a longer, more expensive treatment with greater discomfort.
- The fastest hair removal laser.
- Large spot size (up to 18mm) and high repetition rate.
- Can rapidly treat large body areas, for example, an entire back can be treated in under 30 minutes.
- Suitable for patients with fair to olive complexions.
- Longer wavelength allows deep penetration into the skin and safety for darker skin types.
- Not effective for lighter and finer hair.
- Smaller spot size, which results in longer treatment time, which may result in greater expense and discomfort.
- The TRIA Beauty home laser hair removal system is a diode laser.
- Can be
used onall skin types, including tan skin.
- Large spot sizes and fast repetition rates allow large areas to be treated quickly.
- Provides less effective treatment for fine and light hairs than some other hair removal lasers.
Intense pulsed light (IPL)
- Used for hair removal, but primarily to treat skin pigmentation problems.
- Unlike lasers, IPL devices emit the full spectrum of light wavelengths.
best onpatients with fair skin and dark hair.
Before laser hair removal, electrolysis was one of the only cosmetic treatments available to permanently remove or reduce hair. Although electrolysis is known for being tedious and somewhat painful, it can be very effective, especially for reducing fine or light-colored red, blonde, and gray hair, for which laser hair removal is typically less effective.
Book Your Free Consultation
Read More From Our Blog
LET'S TALK MUFFIN TOP The dreaded muffin top Having extra belly fat (A.K.A. “muffin top”) is never fun and can be a source of frustration. Yes, I know it’s really hard to flatten your stomach. But trust me… If you take the time to find out what’s causing this issue,...
Healthy Living : Save Money Most of my clients think that healthy eating automatically means spending more money and time on your meals every day but in reality, it is quite the opposite. Usually, the time-consuming element of clean eating is not the diet itself but...
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is hard and once you have calmed your "triple fudge chocolate cake" craving heart comes the next mountain to climb and that is how to not be THAT annoying friend at your next house party who says "no" to just about...