LASER HAIR REMOVAL or Electrolysis
Everything you need to know between Laser Hair Removal or Electrolysis
LASER HAIR REMOVAL VS ELECTROLYSIS VIDEO
Laser Hair Removal VS Electrolysis
If you want a long-term treatment to remove your unwanted body hair, you can choose either laser hair removal or electrolysis. Both of them are popular as long-term hair removal methods and both work by targeting hair follicles located under the skin’s surface.
The popularity of laser hair removal is on the rise, according to American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. Since 2013, the popularity of this long-term treatment has increased by nearly 30 percent. Electrolysis is also increasing in popularity, but it’s not as common as laser therapy.
In this article, we are going to provide you with important information about each procedure.
What to expect from laser hair removal treatment?
The pros of laser treatment
- Laser treatment drastically reduces hair growth. After undergoing a few treatment sessions, you can stop shaving altogether.
- You can take the treatment to remove unwanted hair from any part of the body. It can be done on legs, back, underarms, bikini line, stomach, face – wherever you want.
- Laser hair removal is not a painful procedure, neither is it completely painless. In terms of feeling pain, it falls somewhere between shaving (painless) and waxing (hurts a little bit). Our technicians use ice to help numb the area before and after the treatment. However, gradually it gets less painful as treatments continue and hair becomes finer.
What are the cons?
Each session of laser hair treatment takes a very short time. For example, a session of laser hair removal takes less than a minute. But it takes multiple (anywhere between 3 and 8) sessions to shed hair permanently from your treatment areas and you generally have to wait six weeks between sessions.
- Laser hair removal works best on fair skin with dark hair and not so well with darker skin tones. That is because the laser works by targeting pigment in the hair follicle. When the skin is darker, the laser targets the pigment-rich skin when it is supposed to target only the hair follicle. But if your technician is well-equipped, she will make sure you get the best out of the treatment, whatever your skin tone is. Certain lasers types, like the Nd:YAG, are better at distinguishing between hair and skin on all skin types.
- If your laser technician is untrained, you could end up with burns or scars on the skin. You should always make sure that your technician is properly trained. You should ask where your technician was certified to do the procedure. Keep in mind that even doctors who want to provide laser hair removal treatments need further training.
Costs of Laser Hair Removal
The overall cost varies a bit depending on how many sessions you need. The starting price is usually $100 per treatment and you may need between 4 to 4 sessions of treatment.
What to expect from electrolysis?
Like laser therapy, electrolysis is an effective treatment option for permanent hair removal. In this process, a small charge of electricity is passed to the active hair follicles to permanently destroy them. Like laser therapy, electrolysis is a safe method to remove hair from most of the body except the inside of the nostrils and inner ear.
Advantages of electrolysis
- It is a proven method for permanent hair removal
- Effective for all skin types and all types of hair
- Complete removal of hair is possible after the full course of treatment
Disadvantages of electrolysis
- If you want to treat a large area with this method, the procedure can be time consuming and expensive
- For permanent hair removal, you may have to undergo several treatments
- Each hair is treated individually, so it is painful
- Only a qualified and trained therapist can do it effectively
- Reddening of the skin, even skin soreness may occur and this uncomfortable side effect may last for a few hours after the treatment.
- Hard to remove bent follicles resulting from previous tweezing or waxing
- It may cause skin discoloration due to numerous sessions
Costs of Laser Hair Removal vs Electrolysis
Like laser therapy, electrolysis is not covered by insurance. The cost varies because of several factors. It mainly depends on the size of the area being treated and the number of follow- ups required. Some doctors even charge an hourly rate.
Though electrolysis costs less with each visit, you may end up having more sessions than with laser therapy and thus spending more
Which is better between Laser Hair Removal vs Electrolysis?
Both laser therapy and electrolysis produce longer-lasting effects, compared to short-term solutions like shaving and waxing. Laser hair removal provides quicker and faster results.
There are some downsides of electrolysis. It must be spread out over more sessions. The procedure takes more time because it can not cover large areas at once. You may understand why laser therapy is gaining so much popularity.
Bear in mind that it is not a good idea to do one procedure and then the other. If you do that, the effects of the first procedure will be disrupted. Talk to your dermatologist about the best option for you. If you decide to switch from electrolysis to laser therapy or vice versa, you may need to wait several months before beginning.
Laser Hair Removal
Frequently Asked Questions
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is when a laser is used to target the melanin in the hair follicle to heat and destroy the bulb of the hair follicle, killing it so it will not return.
What to expect from Laser Hair Removal?
You can expect some slight discomfort similar to a pinch or elastic band slap. The laser delivers a cryogen spray to help cool and protect the top layer of your skin. You can expect a 25% hair reduction in the treated area, and after each treatment, it takes longer to grow back and the hairs will be finer. After the treatment, you can have possible redness and swelling which doesn’t last long after the treatment is performed.
How much does Laser Hair Removal cost?
The price depends on the size of the area. For example, the underarms are $150, the Brazilian is $ 225, and the full legs are $ 380 per session. We do offer a discount on packages and payment plans! When you become a client, we do offer a loyalty program!
How fast do your see result from Laser Hair Removal?
In terms of results, you will notice a slower regrowth and thinning of the hair after 1 or 2 treatments! We recommend spacing your treatment every 4 to 12 weeks apart as not all our hairs are in the same growth stages.
Does Laser Hair Removal Hurts?
The pain is also influenced by the type of equipment that’s been used. Here at Sparkle, we are using a Gentle Max Pro. The Gentle Max Pro releases a quick burst of liquid cryogen before and after each laser pulse to make the treatment much more comfortable and safer for your skin. In general, using a medical-grade laser, like the Gentle Max Pro, make laser hair removal treatments much more comfortable than devices like IPL or DIODE. The Gentle Max Pro Lasers targets only the hair follicle and not the skin, making the treatment much more comfortable and reduce the risk of side effects.
Does Laser Hair Removal is Permanent?
In terms of results, you will notice a slower regrowth and thinning of the hair after 1 or 2 treatments! But you will be required to do a series of treatments every 4 to 12 weeks apart as not all our hair are in the same growth stages.
A consultation is required so we can go over all the details, an exact quote and the perfect game plan.
How does Laser Hair Removal Works?
The Anagen Phase
Hair is actively growing from the follicle. Laser hair removal is effective on hair that is in the anagen phase, as this is when the follicle is richest in melanin.
The Catagen Phase
Follicles reduce in size, which stops hair growth.
The Telogen Phase:
New hair growth begins pushing the old hair out of the follicles, and the process begins all over again.
The Hair Cycle
The amount of hair in the anagen phase at any given time varies but is usually around 85%. Because not all follicles are always in the same growth phase, multiple laser hair removal treatments are necessary to target all the hair in all its growth phases.
What to do before your Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
4 weeks before
Avoid direct sun exposure 2-4 weeks prior your treatment to reduce the risk of burns and hyperpigmentation.
Stop waxing and shave area only.
2 weeks before
No facial treatment like facials, peels or injections.
1 week before
Discontinue any use of Retin A , Retinol or any topical that could make your skin sensitive to the laser.
Shave the entire area and leave us a little patch the size of a quarter.
What to expect post laser hair removal treatment?
- Mild redness is possible 2 hours to 72 hours post-treatment. If it feels warm you can use Aloe Vera
- You can apply cooling compress 10 to 15 min every hour
- Until redness disappears don’t go in a super hot shower, swimming pool, hot tubs, or saunas
- Refrain from any activities that may rase your body temperature
Is all lasers are the same?
Look for a clinics who are using ND Yag Laser for darker skin type and Alexandrite Laser for lighter skin types. IPL or Photo Hair Removal is often used to reduce hair but is less effective than true laser with a longer process.
What about laser hair removal for light hair?
The laser targets the pigmentation of your hair to kill the bulb. This is why lighter hair does not respond to laser hair removal treatments. Blond, gray and red hair are hard to treat.
PRICE OF LASER HAIR REMOVAL
The price depends on the size of the area. We do offer a discount on packages and payment plans! When you become a client, we do offer a loyalty program!
We suggest between 4 and 8 treatments spaced every 4 to 10 weeks for most of our clients. Price Per Sessions. Consultation required for exact pricing and how many sessions will be required.
Full Face $165
Lip, cheeks or Chin $100
Lip & Chin $140
Extended Bikini $175
Brazilian and Bum Cheeks $300
Full Legs $380
Upper Leg $270
Lower Legs $240
Chest and back $350
Chest or Abs $210
Arms - Half $150
Hair Removal Guide
Be sure to check out all of our other