Laser Hair Removal Guide
Laser hair removal effectively targets hair follicles beneath the skin using laser energy. The energy heats and damages the follicles, preventing future growth. But, when hair is present above the skin, the laser focuses on it instead of the follicles. This can lead to decreased efficiency and increased side effects.
Ensuring the laser accesses the follicles directly, it's critical to shave the intended area before treatment. This step eliminates surface hair, allowing a deeper laser penetration.
Potential Risks of Skipping the Shave
- Reduce efficacy: Hair above the skin absorbs laser energy, diverting it from the follicles, leading to diminished results.
- Cause skin irritation: Unshaved hair can lead to post-laser redness, inflammation, and swelling.
- Increase burn risk: Longer hair can excessively absorb laser energy, heightening the risk of burns and blisters.
Preparation Tips for Laser Hair Removal
- Shave a day prior: Ensure hair is adequately short for effective laser targeting.
- Refrain from waxing/plucking: Such practices remove hair from the root, which counteracts the laser's intention.
- Limit sun exposure: Stay away from sun and tanning beds at least two weeks prior, as tanned skin can amplify side effects.
- Hydration is key: Drink ample water pre- and post-treatment for better skin hydration and faster healing.
Forgot to Shave? Here's What Might Happen
If you forget to shave, the effectiveness of your treatment may diminish. The laser, instead of focusing on the follicles, might target surface hair. This can lead to heightened discomfort, potential stinging, and a risk of burns. Surface impurities like dirt and oil can also reduce efficacy.
Many laser clinics, including Sparkle Lifestyle & MediSpa in Moncton NB, mandate shaving before the session. Neglecting this might result in an additional shaving fee due to the extra time and potential schedule delays. To maximize results and dodge extra fees, adhere to your clinic's guidelines, which often involve shaving 24-48 hours prior, avoiding sun, and steering clear of skin-irritating products.
Sparkle Lifestyle & MediSpa in Moncton, which employs the Gentle Max Pro for hair removal, recommends patients shave ahead of their session for peak results. A $50 shaving fee is levied if large areas are unshaved due to the added time requirement.
In essence, shaving is indispensable for successful, safe laser hair removal. Overlooking this step might lead to reduced results and possible complications. Preparing properly and consulting professionals, like those at Sparkle Lifestyle & MediSpa, can guide you towards a hair-free, smoother skin journey.